Oxygen Masks

"When you take care of yourself, you're a better person for others. When you feel good about yourself, you treat others better. "
-Solange Knowles

I was reminded this morning, as I almost slid through a stop sign, that in spite of some mild weather last week, we are likely several weeks away from the end of winter. This realization kind of bummed me out, to be honest. I had already let my mind turn toward thoughts of spring activities and getting back out into the fresh air, but this morning I'm reminded that it is still January.

These thoughts let me to other thoughts about how quickly January has gone. Really, as we look ahead to parent teacher conferences and then PARCC followed by Spring Break, this whole semester is likely to fly by, and we will be enjoying those warm spring days before we know it, but his week is all about heart health, and I know winter is a time where it is easy to fall into some bad habits, so much like flight attendents remind us to put on our oxygen masks first to ensure we are able to help others, let's take this week as a reminder to take care of ourselves so that we can be the best version of ourselves for our students. Take time this week to do something you enjoy. Take time to rest if that is what you need. Regardless of what it is you need, I encourage you to make it a priority this week. 

Just for fun, leave a comment about what it is you need so that your colleagues can hold you accountable for it later in the week. As for me, I need a couple of quiet evenings at home reconnecting with my family. It feels like we have been running in a million different directions lately. I think we can make it happen this week.


Comments

  1. I need to take the last thirty minutes of my day and read this week for my enjoyment. Trying to do that no electronics thing before bed is hard...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am guilty of the electronics before bed thing as well. I have found that reading before bed doesn't work for me because I am a binge reader, so when I try that, I end up reading way too late into the night.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Full of It

#OneTribe