Roll with the Changes

"As fast as each opportunity presents itself, use it! No matter how tiny an opportunity it may be, use it!"
-Robert Collier

It is an old cliche that the only constant is change. I am proud of what we do here at Sullivan Middle School. I truly believe that we provide a level of education that is at the top of the class in this area. Our staff here does amazing and remarkable things with our students with far fewer resources than those afforded to staffs at larger schools, and we do it with joy and passion. Our students see it, and I have been told by community members that they are amazed at how polite and helpful our students are here in Sullivan. That is a reflection of their teachers.

With that said, there is likely change on the horizon for us. It remains unseen how dramatic those changes will be. There is a lot still up in the air, but I feel confident in saying that some things will look different when we walk through the doors in August of 2018. We do not always get to pick and choose what changes are made, but we are in control of the net outcome of those changes. We can choose to ring our hands about the changes we face and put out a weaker product as a result, OR we can choose to see these changes as an opportunity. I, for one, choose to look at the possibility of change as a possibility for growth, for constant improvement. 

I am confident that we have a team in place here at SMS to roll with any change that comes our way and use it as a catalyst to improve outcomes for our students. This resolve was reenforced by our meeting on Wednesday afternoon as we discussed positive ways to address these changes should they come. I have been working hard over the last couple of weeks to flesh out what these changes may look at because I want to be able to lay out that vision the second a decision is made. I have appreciated your input in that process. I ask for your continued input as we navigate these uncertain waters, but I also ask for patience as the process plays out. I promise that I will keep you informed of developments as they happen. Until then, rest easy and know that "I will be here when you are ready/To roll with the changes." Ok, I know that was cheesy, but I couldn't resist throwing in some REO Speedwagon lyrics to go with the title.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Full of It

Oxygen Masks

#OneTribe