High Fives for Days

"Give people high fives just for getting out of bed. Being a person is hard sometimes."
-Kid President

I don't know what it is about short weeks, but they sure can seem long sometimes. Last week was a struggle for me because I wasn't physically able to do everything I wanted to do. I was relying heavily on pain killers and muscle relaxers just to get dressed and get myself to work. The entire week was a struggle for me. When Friday afternoon rolled around, I could sense that for different reasons, many of you were on the struggle bus with me. It was a short week. It should've been easy, but there we were, grinding through the last few minutes of the work week like shell shocked survivors of a natural disaster, so I decided to go around and give everyone a high five. 

I don't know why, but it just seemed like everyone could use a high five. I get lots of them throughout the day. For some reason, middle school kids like to give the principal a high five, and once that hand is up, every kid within 200 yards has to join in. I like it. No matter how stressed I am, 37 high fives cheer me up, so I thought I'd go give all of you one.

As I walked into classrooms, almost every teacher looked at me like, "Oh crap. What is he going to ask me to do now? I was almost out the door!" When I walked up and put my hand up and just said "Good week! You deserve a high five. Have a great weekend," every single teacher smiled and relaxed a little bit. It was a simple gesture, but I walked out of the building feeling pretty good having connected with (almost) all of you in a positive way. 

One student who witnessed this said she didn't know teachers high-fived each other. She had never seen anything like it. We are #OneTribe. That means we all support each other. I promise that I do my best to make your lives at work as good as they can be, but the simple fact of the matter is that ours is a stressful and demanding job when done well, and you all do it tremendously well. I can't make it stressfree and easy without watering down what we deliver to students, but I can encourage you and cheer you on as you do it. I can assure you that your efforts are appreciated, but even in that, I am only one man. Pick each other up. We are a team. Give each other high fives. Get a few of you together and get a little breakdown before class starts: "Teach on Three. 1, 2, 3 TEACH!" We are a team. The more we act like a team, the more fun we will have hashtag winning.

Comments

  1. Kudos to our staff because I feel like we do an AWESOME job of encouraging each other and helping each other out! We've done this for years and it makes a huge difference when you come to work with people you enjoy working with and who become friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, but I think that it often happens out of sight of students. Feel free to celebrate each other right out in the hallway. Let them see that we have fun working together.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Full of It

Oxygen Masks

#OneTribe