High but Attainable

 "A good example is far better than a good precept."
~Dwight L Moody

We are two weeks into providing face-to-face instruction in the midst of a global pandemic. I have so many thoughts, and I spent the entire weekend trying to figure out what I would write about in my message to you for the next two weeks. Part of me want to just keep writing posts about how impressively you are all navigating this and adapting to a new model for teaching and learning because, frankly, that is the thing that I find myself most in awe of on a daily basis, but I feel like that ends up in all of my Daily Wrap-ups, and I worry that if I say it too much it will become white noise. 

Luckily for me, I was invited to join my middle brother's team for a golf outing to support my hometown's Lion Club on Saturday. This was lucky because I wanted to go golfing this weekend anyway, and because it allowed me to spend the afternoon with a fellow Kansas High School alumnus who happens to be in education leadership in the area. Aside from my fledgling golf game, we talked a lot about education in the pandemic and remote versus in-person instruction. His organization made the decision to go remote for the first quarter, and he asked me how we were doing with in-person. I told him that the first two weeks exceeded expectations and all of the plans and contingencies we had in place to try to keep in-person instruction going for as many students as possible for as long as possible. His response is what I want to share with all of you here. He said that the districts that have gone full remote for the first quarter are watching us (and others) to see how things go. They are rooting for us to be successful because if we can be successful, we provide a blueprint for them to open for the second quarter. If we can't make it work, there is no way they can open their doors for the second quarter. They need us to succeed so that we can show them how to do it.

It is one thing for the governor or the president to utter the precept that schools should be in session. It is another for someone to set the example of how to do it. It isn't always pretty or stress-free, but we are setting the example for other schools in our area. Our hard work is not only impacting our students, but potentially impacting the students in districts all around Illinois. If we can make it work, our efforts will embolden others to follow our lead and open their doors. You are all leaders in your classrooms, and together we are helping to lead educators all over the state. It is stressful and inspiring and amazing and terrifying, but that is where we are. That is who we are. 

My first squad leader had a motto for our squad that we were "setting a high but attainable standard for others to follow". I feel like that is the position we are in right now. We are not special in our circumstances. We are facing the same challenges that are faced by everyone else. We are not immune to the virus. It will hit our school. We will have students test positive. We will have staff test positive. What will set us apart is how we respond. We will show others how to make it work because we are special in our ability to collaborate, innovate, and to overcome. After two weeks, I am more confident in our ability to provide high quality education to our students than I have been in months. After two weeks, I believe that we have a tremendous chance of setting the standard for others to follow. I have never been more proud of any organization than I am of the faculty and staff of Sullivan Middle School. We are an unstoppable Tribe!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Full of It

Oxygen Masks

#OneTribe